Lizzie's Age!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

7.13.2007

Exec Work

My commander is gone for the next week, so I finally get to work on some of the larger projects he's given me. I'm the Exec, if you didn't know, which is kinda like the secretary, or office manager, but actually much bigger. I found out my job when I called into my old job to ask when my next shift was, and they told me I didn't work there anymore. So I called my new office, and they said I should have been there already! Nice to know, guys! BTW...for any of you who remember this from my earlier emails...yes, this is the job I was fired from in February. Apparently the new commander needed a new exec, and the old commander, who fired me, recommended me, ending my 'rehabilitation period'. Good to know they like me! Too bad they all assume I'm going to spend a career in the Air Force but never actually ask. But, that's a whole 'nother blog!

Back to my new job... I answer the phone, run the commander's calendar, and review all of the paperwork which needs his signature. Some of my current projects: policy letters, personnel reports, tracking taskers which come down from higher echelons, writing thank you notes for a bunch of contractors who saved huge servers from a burst water pipe. Today I successfully updated all of the recall roster information. Our squadron is in the process of splitting into three different units, so our organization has changed quite a bit, and everyone's phone numbers have switched around. Our old list of numbers was pretty much useless.

I know this whole job doesn't sound that exciting...but at the moment, it's better than 3-on, 3-off night shift work, and my projects are my projects...nobody can touch them. The front office is my domain, I make sure things get done and set my own policies for routing paperwork, and I am the direct supervisor (and rater) for a MSgt and a TSgt. I always have 20 things going on which I need to get done...I thrive when I have lots of tasks. I work normal days, with weekends and holidays off - it was quite amazing the first time I realized it was Friday, and I had the weekend off. It's my first 'real' weekend since I've PCS'd here, over nine months ago!

We got a new commander while I was on leave, and he's slowly seeing things he wants to change about how things were done in the squadron, and I'm the main person who gets to take on these projects. I either do them myself, or task them out. While he's gone, the DO is in charge. This is the deputy, and he has an office in a different building, so it is very quiet in the office. Very nice and conducive to finishing big projects, which I need. I work 9-6 (the TSgt works 6-3), and I hardly ever get to work on anything until 4pm, because of the phone, emails, and random 2-minute taskers.

1 comment:

J. Scott said...

Hey Cara,

I love the new blog. I'm sure you'll be the only one contributing with some regularity (or is that the point?). Anyway, I have one too, I think I told Will about it, but I'm sure the first entry. Aiight... talk to you later.